Thames Valley CRC (TV-CRC) has a central Allocations Hub which processes:


  • All new case allocations to TV-CRC from court appearances

  • Case transfers to TV-CRC – for any partner CRCs wishing to transfer a case

  • MASH requests – for partners needing to undertake MASH enquiries

  • Electronic Monitoring Service (EMS) – for partners seeking the name of Responsible Officers

  • Home Detention Centre (HDC) requests – for prisons partners to request assessments for suitability

  • Through the Gate (TtG) admissions – for prison partners to know the details of Responsible Officers.

Case transfers

If you wish to transfer a case to TV-CRC please send an email request to:

You should receive a response within two working days with guidance on how to proceed.

If you have any queries during the transfer process, prior to the case being formally allocated to a Responsible Officer, please call the transfer team on 020 8461 8402 who will be able to help.

Once the case is provisionally allocated to a Responsible Officer, all your contact should be directly with them as we regret the Hub will no longer be able to support you with any queries.


MASH requests from Thames Valley’s MASH partners

MASH partners should email if they are undertaking an investigation and would like to know if someone is known to TV-CRC.

If the person is known, the request will be forwarded to the Responsible Officer and the Senior Probation Officer who will then be responsible for replying directly to the MASH with any relevant information.

If the individual is not known to TV-CRC the Hub will respond to the MASH request and confirm the individual is not known to TV-CRC.

Electronic Monitoring Service (EMS)

All EMS should be sent to

The EMS will be screened and logged on to nDelius, our case management system, and then forwarded to the Responsible Officer.

The Hub will then request an update from the Responsible Officer if a response is not received.

Home Detention Centre (HDC) requests

Prisons should email all HDC requests to

The request will then be forwarded to the Responsible Officer and the Hub in order for a police check to be carried out at the earliest opportunity.

Through the Gate (TTG) admissions

Admissions should be emailed to

The Hub will respond back providing contact details for the Responsible Officer.